INCLUSIVE PRACTICE GUIDES & HEALTH AND WELLBEING DATA
Private Lives 3 – 2020 – A national survey of the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ people in Australia
Adam O. Hill, Adam Bourne, Ruth McNair, Marina Carman and Anthony Lyons
Private Lives 3 (PL3) is the third iteration of the Private Lives surveys. PL3 is Australia’s largest national survey of the health and wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people to date. It was conducted by the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS) at La Trobe University. The survey provides vital information for health professionals, service providers, community organisations and governments to better understand and support the health and wellbeing of LGBTIQ people in Australia. PL3 was jointly funded by the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services and the Victorian Department of Premier and Cabinet. This report presents data from participants of PL3 who were living in Australia at the time of the survey.
Rainbow Health Victoria have collated a library of research and resources to help individuals and organisations to develop services that are inclusive for LGBTIQ staff and clients.
- Inclusive Language Guide
- What are Pronouns? (Video)
- Statistics at a Glance
- Victoria’s LGBTIQ Strategy discussion paper including 2020 statistics and demographics
RAINBOW TICK ACCREDITATION & RESOURCES FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
- Rainbow Health – Rainbow Tick Accreditation Guide and HOW2 training program
- Rainbow Health – Supporting LGBTIQ health and wellbeing
- FREE Online RACGP QI & CPD accredited TRANS & GENDER DIVERSE training modules for a range of health professionals developed by North West PHN
MENTAL HEALTH AND SUICIDE PREVENTION
- QLives: Bonnies Story (Intersex) (Video)
- AIS Support Group Australia
- Intersex for Allies
- Intersex Stories and Statistics from Australia
- Employers Guide to Intersex Inclusion
- Information for Parents of Intersex Children – as above – community info
- Intersex Awareness Day
TRANSGENDER AND GENDER DIVERSITY
- Trans Pathways: Summary of results from Australia’s largest survey of gender diverse young people.
- Qlives: Transgender (Video)
- Transgender Victoria – inclusive practice training available
- Trans People Speak video series produced by Fenway Health
BISEXUALITY INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
LGBTIQ FAMILY AND INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE
- PRIDE in Prevention resource – LGBTIQ Family Violence
- Rainbow Health – LGBTI inclusive practice for family violence services training.
- LGBTI AGEING AND AGED CARE
- Val’s Aging and Aged Care – improving healthy ageing pathways for older LGBTI people, their visibility and inclusion. Host of the National LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care conference.
THE LGBTI HEALTH ALLIANCE
Visit the National LGBTI Health Alliance Knowledge Hub for webinars, resources, fact sheets and videos about LGBTIQ inclusive practice, health and wellbeing, statistics and research.
Join the LGBTI Health Alliance – LGBTI HEALTH PLEDGE CAMPAIGN
The unprecedented public health crisis we face presents enormous challenges to governments and health systems across Australia. Beyond the immediate health impacts of COVID-19, the social and economic consequences are serious and far-reaching.
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic may exacerbate existing health inequalities. Some populations that experience health inequalities are disproportionately affected and may be further marginalised when accessing crucial health and social wellbeing services. This includes LGBTI people.
We know that COVID-19 does not discriminate; nor should our health response. This is why we have developed the #LGBTIHealthPledge campaign – to promote LGBTI inclusive principles to ensure that LGBTI people continue to receive culturally appropriate and affirmative care during this challenging time.
- Build awareness around the unique challenges LGBTI people face when accessing the health system during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Promote principles of LGBTI inclusive practice to ensure that LGBTI people continue to receive culturally safe and high-quality services now and into the future.
- Build confidence within LGBTI communities that mainstream health and wellbeing services across Australia will continue to consider their unique health needs and circumstances.
- Reduce discrimination and stigma against LGBTI in healthcare settings and thereby improving their health outcomes.
Take the #LGBTIHealthPledge today and share our tips for LGBTI inclusive practice. Through social solidarity and understanding we can ease the impact of COVID-19 on LGBTI communities.